Between 1913 and 1920, the route of the Lincoln Highway was from Galion to Bucyrus, following much of today's State Route 19 between the two largest cities in Crawford County. This was also the first of several sections of the Lincoln Highway west of Mansfield that did not follow Main Market Route No.3, diverging from the market route at the west side of Galion. Unlike that part of the highway west of Upper Sandusky which we now refer to as the "zigzag" route [see §10a], this part of the coast-to-coast route was reasonably straight between these two cities.

At the west side of Galion, this route of the Lincoln Highway angled northwesterly toward Bucyrus, paralleled by an interurban route which it followed all the way to downtown Bucyrus. About halfway between the two cities, the route passed the Seccaium Amusement Park, which was built by the interurban company. Near this site today are two historical markers—one commemorating the Battle of Olentangy, fought in 1782 in this area between Colonel Crawford's retreating army and Indians. This battle is called the last battle of the Revolutionary War, and is one of two skirmishes that took place in Ohio. Another marker is for the old Indian village of Seccaium, from which the amusement park took its name.

Farther west, two brick pillars were originally located on this route before being either moved or destroyed. The Songer Marker was originally located just east of Whetstone Street, near the Bucyrus city limits. It was moved to its present location at Stewart Cemetery in 1920, when the route was revised to pass through Crestline. The local fairgrounds are near Whetstone Street, and were the bivouac location for the transcontinental army convoy on the night of July 15, 1919.

Another marker which was dedicated to F. A. (Frank) Seiberling was located one mile east of the original site of the Songer Marker, at the Holmes Curve. The fate of this marker is unknown, but the distinctive house and porch that appear in an early archives photograph still stands.

In Bucyrus, the original Lincoln Highway entered the city on what is now Hopley Avenue, named for State Consul John E. Hopley. The street had previously been known as Lincoln Way until the route was revised. In fact, Hopley's home was at the corner of Lincoln Way and Walnut Street, which is now the site of a gas station. Hopley was very proud of his address—#1 Lincoln Way.

Three turns were made in this area before approaching Washington Square in the center of downtown Bucyrus. After angling from Hopley Avenue onto Walnut Street for half a block, the route turned west onto Charles Street for one block. At Sandusky Avenue, the route turned north again, reaching the square after three blocks. In 1928, concrete posts were placed at both the west and east ends of this square—making this greens pace area an appropriate new home for the concrete post that was relocated from the Mary Street "triangle."

The part of this route which follows Charles Street and Sandusky Avenue is the only part of the original route which is not followed today by State Route 19. That route continues north on Walnut Street, meeting Mansfield Avenue one block east of Washington Square. The Crawford County Court House is at the northwest corner of this intersection, and the Bucyrus Public Library is at the northeast corner. Walnut Street also passes the Bucyrus Historical Museum at the southeast corner of Rensselaer Street, where there the marble dedication plaque from the destroyed Hopley Marker, which once stood near the west city limits, can now be found.

Another point of interest at 119 S. Walnut Street is the D. Picking Company. This working museum is a favorite of Lincoln Highway Association Past-President Esther Oyster, and is listed in the National Register. The museum is "still making copper applebutter kettles and other copper products by hand, just as they have been doing for 120 years!"

Odometer chart for this section

Strip Map for this section